Our resident Foodie Layla is back with another piece of your pizza puzzle! A favorite by Pietro (Peter Pan) in THE CARVER by Jacob Devlin, Layla is taking you step by step through this recipe until your mouth is watering from the savory smells of your own pizza:
We have made pizza dough. Now, it’s time for the yummy goodness of pizza sauce. This is my favorite. I don’t usually eat red sauce because it gives me heartburn. But I chew an antacid and eat until my belly is bursting. Now you can make your own pizza sauce and then the sky’s the limit!
Roasted Tomato Pizza Sauce
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray sheet pan with nonstick spray. Place tomatoes and onion on sheet pan. Toss with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt, oregano, black pepper. Roast until soft and beginning to brown. Cool on sheet.
- Puree tomatoes in blender until smooth. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add tomato and onion puree and tomato paste and cook until sauce is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Cool. Use.