Is it just me, or are book nerds seriously misjudged? Especially around the holidays. In fact I have heard on numerous occasions, “Oh, Kristen is so easy; just buy her a book, and she’ll be happy!” Yeah, no. Do I adore books to a somewhat obsessive degree? Yes. Do I love all books that way? No. Unless you know the exact types of books people read, and which books they own, just don’t. The last thing a high fantasy reader is going to want is the newest Nicholas Sparks book.
So, I have a few suggestions for those of you seeking to purchase for the book lovers in your life!
- Amazon gift card. I know you skeptics out there are like “Whaaaa? That’s sooo impersonal! Gift cards are lame! You are killing the spirit of Christmas!” My response to you is: Suck it. I love amazon gift cards more than I do chocolate. I get to buy any book I want! I like them more than I do cash! Cash makes me feel guilty, and then I put it toward bills, but those gift cards? They belong to me, and me alone! Bwahaha . . . Sorry, my take-over-the-world attitude tends to come out around amazon gift cards.
- Bookmarks. I know what you’re thinking. They are like a dollar. That is true! But they do make a great Secret Santa gift or office exchange. And I’m not talking the little plastic ones with tassels. Because, yeah, those are lame. If you’re going to get someone a bookmark, go for the pretty decorative ones. Bookmarks are a necessity because if your book lover is the type to read over a few days, the alternative to not having one is horrendous. For the love of all things wonderful, do notlet them dog-ear their pages! (Though Blaze’s editor totally disagrees with this statement and says, “Dog-ear those pages, baby! Means that book’s been loved.”)
- Book Sleeves. Okay, I want one of these. I’ve been following Book Beaus for like four months, waiting to get one, but they sell out in like eight seconds. These little things are awesome. They are like sleeping bags for books, which I absolutely have to have. I travel, and the worst is when I stuff things into my bag and the pages get bent. Or the covers. It’s agonizing! Seriously, go on Etsy! That being said, I should learn to sew.
- Hard Covers: Now I know I said you shouldn’t buy them books, but this idea is if you are buying for someone you really know. This is a highly specialized gift pending the occasion. Someone once did this for me, and I cried. If you know their favorite book, buy them the hard cover version. If they have a favorite, like, I don’t know, Persuasion by Jane Austen, buy them a really nice hardcover version, like a 1933 classic reprint.
- Bookshelf. Yeah I know, this is another one of those “for the special book lover” in your life. I’ve been asking for a bookshelf for going on forever now! I just end up buying my own. And, yes, this is one of those requests that stays every year. Kind of like a pony for kids. I’m constantly running out of space . . . I have a lot of books. Don’t judge!
- Blaze Books. I gotta. These books are fabulous. Seriously. Ignore my rule about not buying people books, because these aren’t just books; they are blazingly good books! See what I did there?
So there you have it! Some top choices for the book lover in your life! Book lovers, what do you want for the holidays? What was your best book gift ever?